All you and the recipient/sender need to get started is an email address or mobile telephone number and a Canadian deposit account with access to online banking.
Sending an Interac e-Transfer
- Log in to online banking. If you haven’t set up your online banking yet, call us at 1-866-800-ARTS (2787) or visit your local branch to get started and to receive your Personal Access Code (PAC).
- Select Interac e-Transfer from the main page.
- Choose the account you wish to send money from by tapping Select Account.
- Choose the recipient of your e-Transfer by tapping Select Contact.
- Select Add Contacts. Enter the name and email address or mobile telephone number of the person who you will be sending the money to. Once you have added these details, they will be stored on the Contacts list, you will not have to enter in the same information again.
- Create a security question and answer that only the sender and receiver will know. The receiver will have to enter the answer to the security question in order to access the e-Transfer. If it's a friend, for example, the question might be: "What is the name of your dog?"
For security reasons, the message field which enables you to leave a note for your recipient, must not contain the answer to your security question.
- Indicate the amount you'd like to send and select Continue.
- Review the details of your Interac e-Transfer. Your account will be debited the amount you have sent once you select Send Transfer.
Receiving an Interac e-Transfer
You will be notified by email and/or text that an Interac e-Transfer has been sent to you.
From your computer or a smartphone, open the email or text and you will be walked through a simple, user-friendly interface that leads to your own financial institution's online banking, where you will deposit the funds to the account of your choice after correctly answering the security question set up by the sender.